Wild flowers in Washington

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by rootbboy, May 30, 2014.

1. rootbboy

rootbboy Active Member

Pictures 1 @ 2 taken at Mima Mounds, WA.

Looking for Id for the blue flowers, and the white one too if possible but I didn't get a clear shot of that one.

Last 4 are taken along an East - Side forest near the base of the Cascade mountains on the 12 Highway in Washington. Unfortunately I couldn't get a very good focus on those plants..That was a more woodland area next to a stream/river.

I would guess that they are both similar, or if not the same species?

If they are blue eyed mary, how can I tell the difference between small and large flowered (parviflora vs grandiflora)?

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Collinsia for the first. The other blue ones are penstemons.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Micranthes (formerly Saxifraga) integrifolia for the white-flowered plant.

For the Collinsia, it can be difficult to identify to species for generalist use: broadly speaking, C. parviflora is barely noticeable from standing height unless in mass flower (and a macro lens is needed to get much detail). I see it most often when I'm on the ground photographing something else. C. grandiflora will generally jump out and can be photographed as you've done here.

All that said, the true story is not that simple. Hybridization and polyploidy seem to enter the picture and make things far more complicated than what I've given as rules-of-thumb. And, last I read on the topic, it is still being sorted out.

As for the Penstemon: I think Penstemon humilis, but if I was wrong about that, my next suggestion would be Penstemon speciosus.