Wild flower at Burnaby Mauntain

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Nadia White Rock, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wild flower at Burnaby Mauntain for ID
    Mt Burnaby wild.JPG Mt Burnaby wild 2.JPG

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Looks like a Fritillaria to me. Is it a garden escape or a native? I don't know.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Was this in a restoration planting?

4. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think it is Fritillaria too, but what sp.? It was next to path along the forest &University Dr. It can be garden escape, it was lots of them, small and not so suitable for gardens...

How I can see if this restoration planting or not? The pink dot, somewhere in this area.
    Mt Burnaby.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2016
  5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

If it isn't immediately obvious that it is a purposeful planting of native platns to recreate the flora of an area, then they've either done a very good job or it isn't!

It could be Fritillaria affinis, I suppose. It is a bit of a lighter colour than one would normally see as they fade, but there is a fair bit of colour variation. Plus, I'm not certain of the amount of glare from sun reflecting off the tepals.