Why this rose plant is one-sided?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by HK77, Oct 28, 2009.

1. HK77

HK77 Active Member

Hi,

I've one rose pot which produce only one dorminat big big branch to one side no matter how much I prune. It has been over one year that no more branch appear from opposite side and this plant rarely flower and even if it flowers, flowers are not good in shape and quality. It's getting 360 degree sun more than 6 hours a day. Today I've tried to cut that main big branch near the stem but it's as hard as rock and finally I gave up.

From the pictures, pls see and kindly advise me what to do exactly. I really loved the flower from this plant and so I really just can't throw it away.

Thanks,
    HK77

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

When was the last time you repotted your rose? The soil in its pot looks compacted and damp, and, judging by what looks like moss growing on it, probably is acidic.

I would try getting the plant out of its pot, taking a good look at its roots, and repotting in good fresh soil.

3. HK77

HK77 Active Member

Actually, this pot was planted last year exactly. I'll do re-potting of coruse but Do I still need to cut that big branch down so that other small branches can come out. Also according to my pictures, does my rose canes and bud union has cankers or not? Please help.

Thanks,
    HK77

4. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    It looks like from the third photo that the basal is too far out of the soil. You might want to bury it under the soil to create more root growth and hence more top growth. Some roses like to grow sideways which can be annoying when you have the picture in your mind of a nicely shaped rose bush.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  5. family gardener

family gardener Member

May I ask how often you water and how much.

One responder mentioned moss growth and I noticed that too.
    I have noticed in my own experience and been proven that regular (maybe less often) water and deep watering can invigorate root growth.
    I live in a very hot part of San Jose, Ca. USA and I have stuck to this method to invigorate / stimulate deep root growth (for ability to sustain larger top side foliage for sheer plant survival in summers of many days of 100-110+deg. as well as proper fertilizer for good root growth and quick draining but moisture retaining soil is key with roses they do not do well in water logged soil (learned the hard way).
    I also like to turn my soil in my potted plants somewhat regularly while at the same time mixing in some microbes to move root stimulating along.
    I am really just a newbie here so I hope I am not stating things that you may already know (apologies if I have).
    Also may I suggest a broad spectrum fungicide for you moss as roses under stress do not produce very well moss will not only pull water from you plant but also cause you stems to scare from invasion of any fungus or molds. I hope this helps and best wishes!

6. Kale

Kale Member

HK77,
    Did you Re pot it ?
    Do you know the name?
    Did you make certain that drainage is good With large enough holes?
    Where did you buy that rose from?
    Do you still have the label?
    Would you happen to have pics of it below what we can see?
    I have a suspicion and hope you didn't saw that!

Kale:)

7. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

What "soil" or potting media did you use to repot it? I agree, the root stock is showing and the bud union rides too high.