Why Is My Peace Lily Not Happy

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Jinny, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Jinny

Jinny Member

I have a Peace Lily at work. Its been with me for a few months now, and I keep it watered, and was delighted when it throw out 2 new flower spikes and appears happy and healthy. The Plant has gained attention and comments from fellow workers, and I really enjoy it.

There was one concern...the roots began appearing over the top of the pot, and the tips of the leaves are brown, but not brittle.

So yesterday (Sunday) I popped into work, collected my plant, and took it home
    and repotted it, into a bigger ceramic pot.

As I'd read on the internet, and with the advice of the garden centre, I added a layer of gravel at the bottom of the pot for drainage, purposes, and then covered that in John Innes Number 3, Potting Compost. I removed the plant from its plastic pot gently easing the roots which were a tight ball - not mushy or mouldy, just tight packed, and potted it.

Then I used a small amount of Baby Bio feed - mixed as instructed (5 drops to a pint of water) and splashed that gently, taking care not to give what I perceived to be too much.

All was well. I repotted it at 3pm yesterday, and left it in my porch overnight - it wasn't a cold night. This morning at 8.30am, we departed back to work. It was still as happy as ever.

I was sitting here doing my job, and I noticed a couple of hours ago it started wilting.
    I'm staring at it now and its really floppy leaved and looks all sad and miserable. People are beginning to talk and tease me about upsetting my plant!

The temperature in the office is regualted and previously it thrived here. My colleague gave it a small amount of water to see if that helps but there is no change.

What have I done wrong ? Can I do anything to help my plant survive...it really is drooping by the hour.

Thanks in advance

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Do you happen to have a picture?

Repotting could be the only reason for the drooping because it's been stressed and will straighten up eventually, IF that is the only reason.

Your peace Lily sounds like it was doing well until it was repotted.
    These plants like to be a little rootbound and don't want a big pot.The soil should have something like Perlite added to the soil so it's well draining.Sometimes roots will grow at the top of the pot because it's REALLY potbound or that's where the water is because it wasn't deeply, enough to wet all the roots.
    How often do you water?

It might have gotten chilled outdoors if it was used to higher temps. The stones in the bottom of the pot aren't really necessary if the soil is well draining.

The leaves could be drooping from the repotting, chilled or it's overpotted (smothering the roots) or a combination of all three. I would hold off on feeding it at this point.

You might want to see what is does in the next day or two, if it still looks sad you'll need to do something. If it ere mine, I'd put it back into the same pot it was in getting rid any extra wet soil around the roots, or use a pot that an inch larger if it looks overly potbound and need a little more room, adding plenty of perlite to the new soil. Only give the roots an inch of room in the pot, water it in so it comes out the drain holes and get rid of the drained water and let it be, hopefully it will spring back.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add that these plants like moist all the time, not soggy wet. Let the top dry somewhat an inch or two down before giving it anymore. A pot that's too big will stay too wet and can cause problems.
    After you water, your plant should be ok for at least a week, but you might want to check the soil with your finger down into the soil to test it after 4-5 days to be sure.