Why buds falling and What type of Hibiscus?

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by Sandra75, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

I bought this Hibiscus a bit over 1 week ago. It had a minor case of bugs that I am taking care of. It had a bloom when I bought it but now the buds are getting yellow and falling even before it blooms. I opened one with a knife but didnt see anything that could be bugs inside. Anyone have a suggestions for me? Also what is this type of Hibiscu? Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

Yes, tropical hibiscus. Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, to be more exact. 'The Hibiscus Handbook', published by The American Hibiscus Society has as good an explanation of 'bud drop' as any you will find, and yes, it is considered a true physiological disorder. They go into rather a longer reasoning than I will here, but from their own 'Handbook' I submit the following: "The most common causes of bud drop appear to be lack of food or water, or an overabundance of either. Excessive amounts of nitrogen, particularly when associated with foliar fertilizers, have been known to cause bud drop." Their dissertation continues, and then finishes with " Regular watering and fertilizing is the best cure."
    And with that, you probably are abreast of any reknown scientist out there, on why hibiscus get 'bud drop'. Doesn't that make you feel good?

4. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

Thanks! I have new buds now, and they are not yellow-ish like before. so hopefully they'll open up.