White Pine help

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Skip Crockett, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Skip Crockett

Skip Crockett Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    About three years ago I purchased two beautiful White Pine plants that I proudly planted in my front yard so all could see. They thrived and clearly liked the attention I gave them through that summmer into winter here in Calgary and appeared to do well for the whole period until spring. We had a late snowfall and a considerable amount one of them died shortly after that. All of the needles turned brown at the same time. Two more years pass and a similar situation occurs and my other White Pine suddenly turns brown. This time though there are a few green branches at the bottom of the plant that appear if given proper care may actually start again. I decided under much questioning if I should cut back the browned off branches. I did not want to because they felt as though they may still be alive. After several weeks of waiting I finally decided as I did not see growth that I would cut some so the sun would get in to the mere green growth that existed. As I cut I found many what appeared to be white crusty round and 2mm high deposits. What am I dealing with here? Can anyone help me save this tree?

Skip

2. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi Skip

A pics would be good. However a few Questions

1. Was the crust sap?

2. Where was it located, in the crotches of the branches,the stock or along the branches them selves?

3. Are there any visible holes in the main trunks or sap pockets on them.

4. Are they Christmas tree stock.

This info might help to narrow it down as there are several bugs not to mention enviro problems that can cause this. With certain pests (pine borer/pine beatle/ white pine tip borer/ to name a few) A tree may look healthy and then die the next year due an infestation. In some areas this is refered to as standing dead green.

Regards Doug

3. Skip Crockett

Skip Crockett Active Member 10 Years

White Pine

Dear Doug,

You have helped me in the past and maybe you can help me again. I have been so devastated at the possability of this plant dyeing that I neglected to send pics. This plant is named by me after my wifes father, my father, two other brothers fathers and all fathers in general. Here are the pictures. Please help if you can.

skip

Attached Files: