Identification: white fungus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by flukeman, Jan 16, 2006.

1. flukeman

flukeman Member

I was once again, hiking in Oregon when I found this mushroom a bit off the beaten track. It was roughly 1.5 to 2 inches in height. It was thin and lead up to a "flower-like" crescent. The soil was moist and contained alot of Nitrogen and shade was abundant. The mushroom was so white, it almost appeated transluscent. This picture is a bit fuzzy.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

When you say "flower-like", do you mean the ends of the cap were pointing upward instead of down?

What do you think of Coprinus lagopus (another photo)?

3. flukeman

flukeman Member

there was much less distinction between the cup and the stalk of the fungus and in addition, the entire fungus was completely white, with no other color... much more stout in appearance. more "waxy"

4. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

5. flukeman

flukeman Member

That's IT!!! Oh my goodness and I had given up. That looks exactly like the fungus we saw...Thanks!

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks Mycos, I like mysteries solved!

7. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

It's great to be of help. So....does this mean I can get out of the "seedling" stage? Or at least get to be a "Spore" or something :lol:

8. Daniel Mosquin

Well, I will admit that the "seedling" title is a bit biased toward most green plants... perhaps make some suggestions in this thread? http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=12791