White Adenium Xmas

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Chungii V, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I got myself a nice little present this Christmas. After all the unwrapping and a couple of coffees after being woken up nice and early:} I walked out as usual to check on my seedlings, I put down about 150 Adenium seed in the last week or so. They've come through nicely after a first lot of seed failed miserably. I think my first lot were not as fresh as they should have been.
    Drifting off the subject...So I was checking on my little babies and I spotted this seedling in pic 1. with a very white looking sprout.
    Today it's opened it's water leaves (cotyledon) and continued with the pure white colouring. It's the first Adenium seed I've seen do this.
    I am not sure on the chances of it's longevity. Most plants I've seen go to such a pure white often do not survive well as they are not producing adequate chlorophyll. Although my Euphorbia lactea 'White Ghost' is exceptionally white. I am hoping it continues to grow and becomes quite a unique specimen in my collection. I'll give occasional updates to let you know how it goes.

I guess I'd have to call it 'White Christmas' if it lives.

Attached Files:

2. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Awwwww bless it! I hope it does:)

3. caudiciformken

caudiciformken Active Member

Have you thought of grafting your white onto an adenium stock?
    It may be able to survice, if you notice it suffering......

Good luck! It is a rarity for sure.

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Yes I have thought of doing so, just a matter of keeping it alive long enough to get it to a size to get material off. It's still going at the moment fingers crossed.

5. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi
    must be something in the air - one of my seedlings is pink and white :)

Attached Files:

6. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Awesome mine's getting that pink tone through it too. Good luck with yours, mine's started it's first set of leaves. (and if your not going to put up that link up to the bonsai Adenium I'll do it today ;})

7. bertoli55

I should send the seedling to you as I'm a complete 'adenium novice'. I've posted the Bali link :)
    ciao bertoli

8. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Nah, you'll manage :} Hopefully yours will grow and you'll eventually be able to try cross pollinating it . They flower at a really young age generally within the first two years. I've seen them flower in 10 months from putting down the seed, basically after the first cool season. Good on ya for sharing those adenium pics.

9. bertoli55

Hi, hope your white seedling is still doing ok -mine died today. All of the other seedlings are really going well but the pink and white is no more :(

10. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I think I'm fighting a losing battle. We've had a couple of weeks of drizzling rain and humid weather, the few things that aren't happy with it are showing it now and the little white guy is not happy. I've tried to give it a light dose of fungicide but I'm not expecting the best. Likewise, the other seedlings are starting to take off nicely.

11. bertoli55

We've had a couple of weeks of really hot, dry weather- 38.4C today. Most things have coped ok except for a few burnt leaves, but it was too much for the pink/white adenium.

12. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

That's pretty hot, We don't get much past 35 here but the humidity is nearly always 60-70% in summer. I thought the drier weather you get in W.A. might've helped a bit, shame, I know where I'll be getting my next lot of seed from again though :}
    Summer is the main time I have any problems with cacti and succulents because of the weather patterns here sometimes not letting plants dry out like they need to.

13. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Hey,
    Mine died yesterday. Was just flicking through that seller's items and found they are now offering a batch of seed with a variegated variety. It's creamy white with green spotted leaves. No guarantee of variegation though. (no guarantee of survival either maybe?)

14. bertoli55

Hi, variegated adenium sound good. I might give them a try but don't want to bid against you:) I'll check out what they're selling. I think that I had a poor germination rate last time because I was too slow to get them planted. I'll soon have more Adenium than i know what to do with :)
    ciao