which tree and rose to plant

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by vangardener, Apr 10, 2007.

1. vangardener

vangardener Member

I am re-inventing the garden against the east (and north facing) side of my backyard along a fence. the garden space is 4-5 feet wide and about 15 feet long. there is currently a very old climbing rose that was strangled by english ivy and a sad, spindly lilac, both of whose days are numbered.

I am considering 2 - 3 rosa glaucas along the fence as I am in love with the foliage and a tree: a pink dogwood, a magnolia of some kind or a styrax. The tree should only get to about 15 - 20 feet high and 10 feet wide. i also imagine clematis growing in and among all of this and currently have a jackmanii in this location. The front of the bed is an assortment of perennials in a blue, purple and white palate.

I would really appreciate any feedback on the selection of rose and tree -- any anything else!

thanks very much.

vangardener

p.s. I live in east vancouver, near the PNE.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Most trees grow wider than high. A purpleleaf plum or other small purpleleaf tree would make a good foliar backdrop to the other plants mentioned.

I'm not seeing where you say what you want an additional rose to be like or to do.