Which Magnolia tree?

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Beeker, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

My parents used to have a beautiful magnolia tree near their house. There was a problem with it rubbing against the house, so my dad cut it down. I was so upset because it was my special tree. It was right outside my bedroom window. In the summer, I would leave my window open and the smell the beautiful flowers would fill my room. I miss that tree so much. Needless to say, I want another one. I am pretty sure that it was a Saucer Magnolia tree, but I can't find any information about it blooming twice a year. Our tree did. Can anybody help me out with this one?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, that and other M. liliiflora hybrids may flower on the new growth in summer as well as have a main flush from overwintering buds in spring.

For a sheet on a small-growing series developed for cold climates:

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/magnoli1.html

3. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

I got some seeds from the tree, but I couldn't get them to grow. Could it be because it was a hybrid?

4. Ron B

Probably a flaw in your procedure. For starters, as with many other hardy trees and shrubs the seeds of deciduous magnolias require a cold period before they can germinate. This mechanism prevents cold climate trees from popping up the same fall the seeds were shed and dying during the winter.

5. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

How long can I keep seeds before they die? I still have some but it has been a few years.
    Also, those pictures don't look like the tree. The petals on our tree were bigger. It looked like a Saucer Magnolia, but it bloomed twice a year.

6. Ron B

They won't be any good now. Link was to show a type you might like to try planting in your current situation, not what the previous one might have been.

7. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

Oh, thank you.

I really would like to get a Saucer Magnolia again, but do you think there would be a better one than that?

8. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

Could you give me instructions on how to start from a seed if I were to get some this spring or summer? I am guessing that I would have to put them in the fridge for a few months, but I don't know much about it.

9. Chooch

Chooch Active Member 10 Years

SW Ontario 65 miles west of London / 33 miles sout
    Collect FRESH seed of the Magnolia species that you desire ; thoroughly soak /wash the waxy pulp from the seeds ( this may take a 5-7 days to accomplish ) ; after seeds are cleaned place them in slightly moist peat & sand or straight vermiculite ; next place them in a zip lock bag for 4-5 months in the fridge set at approx. 39 degrees ; check weekly for aeration , germination , and molding issues ; after 5 months place the bag @ 70f+ and plant the sprouting seeds into pots .
    Most magnolia prefer acidic soil so a heavy mixture of peat plus possibly some sulphur may be required to achieve maximum growth potential . Good Luck !

10. Beeker

Beeker Active Member

Awesome! Thank you Chooch! :)