Where To Buy Propagator In Canada/bc??

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Wonder Woman, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Member

I was going to try and build one but couldn't source a thermostatically controlled heat pad or wire. I am starting tropicals from seed and some require a temp of 32celsius for 15 hours a day then switching to 15celsius. I saw some for sale online in U.K. and U.S.A. https://www.parasene.com/vshop/details.asp?prodID=215[/ around 200$ - 250$. They are really nice little units but thought there might be a source in lower mainland or a cheaper way to make it?

2. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Sounds pretty warm to me. When I convert 32C into old-style units it turns out to be a bit less than 90F.

Anyway, a propagator should cost at the absolute most a fifth of that, I would think. If you don't want it to be pretty, that is. A box made of any scrap or cheap wood, a fluorescent fixture or two of the length appropriate to your box (from Rona or Home Depot or one of the local recycling places like ReNew if they have any), and a heat mat if you insist (any of the zillions of hydroponic gardening stores, or Lee valley Tools etc in Vancouver, sell them) and you are set.

3. plantenthusiast

plantenthusiast Active Member

WonderWoman,

Try ebay; they sell cheap (and new) heat mats, thermostats & light fixtures.

Many garden centres carry heat mats and sometimes the matching thermostats as well. If all else fails, you could try Lee Valley Tools or Veseys.

Best of luck with your tropical seeds!

4. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

I prepared mine at a cost of less than $50 and it works like a charm. I bought a $30 heat pad`from Lee valley and a clear plastic box with clear top (spprox dimensions L=24', W=15" and H=12", 61 Liters) fom WallMart for under $20 ($15?). I maintain a wet (moist) towel at the base with water spray which help keep temperature aroung 80C and humidity around 75% when the heat pad is under the box. I keep a fluorescent light on top which stays ON except during part of the night. I open the top once a day. I have successfully rooted cuttings and germinated vege seeds with great success.