Where might I find Lime Trees in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Mandelbrot, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Mandelbrot

Mandelbrot Member

I am told there are lime trees in Vancouver: can anyone direct me to them? And how do I indentify them?

This is a literary question about trees. Any lime tree history, gossip, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably talking about Tilia and not Citrus. In fact, the way your question is worded it's not clear which of these you are asking about, if you think there are Citrus growing outside in Vancouver and you want to know more about this unexpected occurrence, or if you understand they are limes as in linden or basswood. Locations for the latter trees can be found in Dr Straley's Trees of Greater Vancouver.

3. Mandelbrot

Mandelbrot Member

Thank you: I am in the process of acquiring Trees of Vancouver. I meant the linden or basswood.

Any local history or gossip concerning these trees would be most welcome.

4. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

A good place to see Tillia's in a mature condition is Riverview hospital grounds in Coquitlam. They have regular tours, printed in the local paper. Or you can walk around the site on your own Dawn to dusk. Bill Browne in Pitt Meadows, grows Lindens,Limes,Basswood, or Tillia, as the pros call them, among other trees. You can sneek around the property at Riverview and find seedlings, they are everywhere on the site. You may think twice before you plant them when you see how large they get. The smaller varieties are grafted onto Tillia platyphyllos generally, and are hard to find locally. Riverview has all the North American varieties, and a few grafted specimens. Beautifull trees...
    Bill Browne of Bill's Little Tree Farm located at 13554-224th St. Maple Ridge ph/fax:604-461-0669
    email: bill_browne@shaw.ca
    hours Wed to Sat 11AM to 5PM A real expert dendrologist( aka: Treehugger )