When can I transplant a plum tree?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Danna, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Danna

Danna New Member

I have a plum tree in my backyard that I would like to plant in the frontyard where there is more sun. The tree was purchased from a nursery and planted about 3 years ago, it's about 15 feet tall. I'm wondering when the best time of year to transplant it is, and if anyone has advise on how to best do this?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

During the winter, now it is too late for this time - wait until November or later at this point.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If you start root pruning, a little bit at a time, between now and next winter, the tree will be easier to transplant and will not suffer as much shock from the move.

4. Ron B

Transplanting shock is due to root loss. Therefore, there is no point in cutting the roots back. Especially if the roots made in response to advance cutting are then cut off when the tree is finally lifted at the end of the process.

Existing roots elongate in fall and new roots are formed in spring. This is regulated by hormones produced in terminal stem buds. Nibbling at the root system through the growing season would not be in alignment with the annual root growth cycle at all.

Last time I read about this no benefit from advance root pruning had been conclusively demonstrated. Bonsai enthusiasts cut back roots annually to maintain dwarfed top growth, because all root loss has a temporary dwarfing effect on tops. Bare-rooted deciduous stock dug in fall and placed in cold storage, for spring shipment loses most of the roots. This does not stop it from forming new roots and growing in spring. This does cause it to have dwarfed top growth the first summer, because it will not replace a large proportion of the lost root system until the annual fall elongation.

5. Danna

Danna New Member

Thanks for the advise folks, sounds like i've missed the ideal time to move the tree.

Maybe I can re-ask this question.

If I were to move this plum tree now, making sure to take as much of the root system as my back and wheelbarrow will allow, would i kill the tree?
    It is currently in the backyard where i plant all the vegetables. It shades the vege plants and last year it was absolutely covered in aphids, to the point that it was so hard on the tree, it did not produce any fruit.

6. Ron B

Likely response depends on how advanced new growth for this year currently is. If it is a Prunus domestica it may not be doing much yet.

7. Danna

Danna New Member

I see there are some buds on it, but nothing is popping.

I was looking at it over the weekend and noticed there was a black fungus type growth on one of the branches, which i cut off. I had cut off a couple other branches with similar looking growths last summer, but did not think too much of them as the aphid attack had sent the tree into such a state of shock.

I'm partially of the mind that i should move the tree and hope for the best...

8. Ron B

You're probably talking about black knot fungus.