when buying, is it better to buy already flowered

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by jk2, Oct 21, 2005.

1. jk2

jk2 Member

I've been out looking at mexican lime trees in five gallon buckets. They are dwarf, thornless. One has flowers on it, and the other two dont have flowers. Would one or the other be better to buy? and should it not be transplanted while flowering? Thanks a bunch!

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

jk2, I would make my decision on which tree to purchase, based on the best tree and not on whether it has blooms or not. Look for a tree with well balanced placement of the main scaffold branches, and a general healthy vigorous look. - Millet

3. drichard12

drichard12 Active Member 10 Years

If I was able to choose a tree, after actually seeing them in person. I would do as Millet suggested

4. jk2

jk2 Member

thank you both so much. All three of the trees looked really nice,,i think,, but i will check better which has better "ballance". Thanks again, jk2 Oh, now mabie i should ask what kind of soil should i get to transplant into. Im planning on keeping potted, at least for a few years. Thanks somemore, me

5. drichard12

I use (CHC) Coconut husk chips an Peat 3-4 (CHC) one part peat (CHC) may cost bit more but it is a good media for Citrus . No need to have to worry about overwatering Holds water very well an drains very well .all my trees are in this mix.

All my tree's are in pots

6. jk2

jk2 Member

thanks drichard12, i hope those are common when i go to buy. Im buying my tree at a nurcery, but was planning on buying soil stuff at Home Depo? would they have that stuff, or am i better going somewhere else? Thanks!

7. drichard12

soil mix has always been a pain .If one took a soil mix mix and washed it, one would find a very small mix of fine sand It is that fine sand that settle to to bottom, an after a year or two one has to repot (CHC) is the best The bottom line is everyone likes to grow something , But for having a citrus in containers this is the best mix I have ever had

8. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

I must agree with drichard12, I have 52 different varieties of citrus. They are all planted in 4-parts CHC and 1-part peat moss. Coconut Husks Chips (CHC) have a natural pH of 6.4 which is the perfect pH for citrus. Another advantage of CHC's is that they hold up to 7 times their weight in water, while at the same time retaining a very good aeration in the growing medium. If you use CHC be sure to rinse them VERY WELL and pre-soak them before using them. CHC/peatmoss makes an excellent growing medium for citrus. Lastly, it is also lite weight, which helps when you want to move the container. - Millet

9. jk2

jk2 Member

you all are great! thanks! Is that something i can get at Home depo? or should i look somewhere else. I'll be on the phone looking tomorrow, but if you know of a good place, that'ed be even better. Thanks again! jk2