What's pooping in my garden and how to stop it?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by practicallydone, Sep 14, 2008.

1. practicallydone

practicallydone Member

poop1.jpg
    poop2.jpg

Sorry about the graphical nature of the photos, folks. I'm hoping that some close-ups would help in the identification of these mysterious piles of poop.

I'm finding them, in small piles, ALL AROUND MY GARDEN. I know that my neighbour's cat comes by daily to do its business, but these don't look like cat poop.

Any insight on what's dropping these and how to stop it?

Much thanks!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

oh crap! I dont recognize it. Doesnt look like typical rabbit, deer, coyote, dog or cat poop to me.

3. practicallydone

practicallydone Member

Ah, I love a good pun. And the door is wide open.

There's also a resident squirrel, crows and possibly rats. But I can’t imagine a rat or two pooping in the quantity that I’m seeing. Or maybe they can…

I should also mention that I live in East Vancouver, so no chances of deers, rabbits or bears visiting my yard, yet.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Might be earthworm castings.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, I too think it is earthworms. So you don't want to stop it.

Otherwise, without a photo I would assume the neighbor behind me was pooping in your garden. Would be consistent.

6. practicallydone

practicallydone Member

If not for the spiral shape, I would've just passed them off as dirt. Seem to break apart like dirt. I can easily count over a dozen mounds, each a few square inches in size, in my yard. Is it possible to have this many earthworms?

Ron, if your neighbour wants to poop in my garden too, he/she should take a number and get in line.

7. Ron B

So far they are content to reach over the fence and cut branches off my plants, throw them over the fence on our side. The unauthorized cutting continues even after I spoke to them about it. I find this hugely offensive, so I thought pooping in someone's yard would be consistent.

Not that this has anything to do with worm castings. These are thought to be desirable so I wouldn't sweat yours. You could probably break them up with a rake or other tool if their appearance remains disturbing.

8. jimmyq

Ron I think pooping in someone elses yard might be more incontinent than consistent...

but I cant dispell the worm castings idea, I thought about it at first but wasnt convinced enough to suggest it. :)

9. practicallydone

practicallydone Member

Worm poop it is. Thanks Ron, Paul and Junglekeeper. Did a quick search on earthworm casting, and it looks like a match. People pay money for this stuff?!

10. dustylanes

dustylanes Member

your kidding??? right??? how big is this earthearth worm? and it likes to just hang out in that spot and poop its guts out. come on guys.

11. Ron B

Since he's not an earthworm himself not only would Paul not be able to dispel the worm castings idea he wouldn't be able to eliminate the castings themselves either.

12. jimmyq

ha! true words!

13. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

dustylanes and all--yup these are worm castings, and no they're not kidding.

The difference compared to most worm poop, these mounds are from nightcrawlers...I guess that's a different species than the "normal" worms...they get enormous and the poop is sized accordingly!

practicallydone--if you ever need some super seedling mix, blend about a third by volume of the poop into your regular mix, (probably have to add some more perlite to offset the fine texture), the stuff is real black gold. And yes, I do pay for this stuff :-)

14. practicallydone

practicallydone Member

growest - Can I through them in the compost?

15. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

pdone--Sure, tho they are the best kind of compost already. So wherever you use compost, you might also just add them directly.

As I said...my preferred use is in plug and potting mixes of any kind, the plants get a
    noticeable kick from this vermicompost material. Any house plants, or hanging baskets or patio tubs...these situations really benefit (with their restricted root areas that can use all the help we can give them) to provide soil chemistry and biology that will not limit growth.

16. practicallydone

practicallydone Member

The more you know.

Thanks!

17. dustylanes

dustylanes Member

my apologies. i just started reading a book called "the earth moved". shocking stuff. anything you want to know about worms.

18. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

After reading the above...I believe that I know all I care to. Yikes! When do these massive communal defecations occur? And, why? "Wormstock" in your back yard. Perhaps a nocturnal filming session would make a fine documentary for public television, or maybe a cable channel. Practicallydone should sell the stuff on eBay. The mind boggles.