What Tree is this?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by beckygatton, Jun 7, 2014.

1. beckygatton

beckygatton New Member

I have two trees in my yard that my my husband and I bought and planted over a year ago. We bought two bottlebrush trees from a local nursery, however we have had them for over a year and have taken excellent care if them, and still no blooms. We are curious if these are bottlebrush trees or if they sold us something else. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. hortiphoto

hortiphoto Active Member 10 Years

Definitely looks like a bottlebrush. Most are grown from cuttings and flower right away but if they're seedlings they may take a little while to mature to flowering size.

3. beckygatton

beckygatton New Member

Currently they are approx. 5-6 feet tall and have been in the ground over a year. They have been watered daily and they both receive direct sunlight. Neither one has produced a single flower. Is there anything else that I may be able to try to help it bloom? Any type of food/nutrients that may help? If these are seedlings does it usually take longer than a year?

4. hortiphoto

hortiphoto Active Member 10 Years

It's probably better that you don't feed or water them too heavily or you may well end up producing lush foliage at the expense of the flowers, though they should still bloom. If they are seedlings, when they will flower depends on the species or the parentage of the hybrid. Most Australian plants bloom at a fairly early age. They have to or they won't reproduce before the next bushfire. Give them a little while and don't pamper them.

5. beckygatton

beckygatton New Member

Thank you!