What to feed my black bamboo?

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by marylou830, Jun 16, 2007.

1. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

I planted some bamboo plants in the ground several months ago and I water them about 3 times a week if it doesn't rain. What and when do I need to feed them? I sprinkled some food granules around them about 2 months ago. Should I water them more often?

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I'm not sure what your soil is like already, have you done a soil test at all? you might not need to do anything at this point. If you feel inclined to feed regardless, I recommend manure, compost ,or the like. What was in the 'food granules'?

3. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

I don't know how to do a soil test. Any recommendations? The dirt is well-drained and I did put some organic compost around them that I bought from a landscaping business which has horse manure in it. The granules I used had a mix of nitrogen and some tiny extended release green balls with food in them. It's been a while since I read the box (yikes!).

4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Well, if they are well fed, and watered regularly...they should be fine. You can get soil test kits at nurseries.

5. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

Thank you so much for the tips. I'm so glad I found this website!

6. MarknTravis

MarknTravis Member

I feed my boo the same thing I would feed my grass (Ringers Lawn Restore) and I also mulch with wood chips and composted manure.

7. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Same here - I use the same fertiliser that I use on my lawn. Same rate per square metre as lawn, twice a year - once in late April, another application in July. I much with whatever I have at hand.

8. JCardina

JCardina Active Member

Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia Canada
    Re: feeding with lawn food

A great idea but under no circumstances use weed and feed.

9. marylou830

marylou830 Active Member

Thanks for the information. I'm worried that a couple of mine may be dying. I bought the 4 back in March and was watering a few times a week, but it started raining about once a week back in June-July, so I stopped watering. Now, a couple of them look pretty scraggly. Did I kill them by not watering? It's been VERY hot down here in Georgia.

10. smivies

smivies Active Member

Temperate bamboos from Asia are adapted to monsoonal climates. As long as the soil is well drained, the more water the better. Once fully established (1-2 years), they can take some drought but yours are not there yet.