What still looks good in YOUR garden....

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Pieter, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Thats ok Dana, not a problem.

I think the man next door to me has that yellow.

2. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Well aren't you lucky you don't have to have it in your yard! Is he a nice man?
    Pass the salt please darling.....(I sure hope you know what I mean) ROFL
    OOPS,
    and not to stray too far off topic,
    one i am glad Pieter started as he has inspired me to take a closer look at things out there and take note of some of the things I like.
    I'll add what I caught today of the fuchsia stems that I left standing tho dead, as supports for the new growth and an electrical cord.
    I use a clothes pin as a universal marker of size.
    I expect that we all use the same Chinese ones world over now hey?
    A thread-leaf maple I bought this spring, a delightful yellow.
    And is the Pieris supposed to have blossoms forming now? It would be great if it would bloom now as the nudiflorum is beginning too but I thought it strange to find the bush/tree so loaded with buds today.

D

Attached Files:

3. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

Dana, I've had that 'mini' one -or something frightfully close to it- but it never made it through the first winter I had it. This Magellanica we've had for probably 8 or 9 years, I made the mistake year before last to cut it down to soil level over the winter and of course the whole bush had to regrow from the crown, so it wasn't quite as spectacular as it was the year before. We've had hummers in ours as well, but hummers in our yard seem to prefer the Early Dutch Honeysuckle and the Crocosmia, with the occasional side trip to the Fuchsia and whatever is flowering of the Hostas.

4. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Yes, the Magellan is a staple of the hummy, their bread and butter that they return to when there is nothing else.
    I planted the mini outside last Nov just before snow flew and it survived but in a good location.
    Some years the winter cuts them back to the ground as last year and it takes longer to get flowers.
    I've started listing what I have managed to find hummies enjoying in my garden in a thread in photography.
    I've noticed that they like many different flowers, each in their season but some, any time they can get them, salvias in particular.

D

5. Pieter

Pieter Well-Known Member 10 Years

This has to be one of THE longest flowered plants we have in the yard: Dicentra 'Luxuriant'. It typically starts its first flush of flowers late April/early May and goes on until first hard frost, which we haven't had here as yet. It's STILL in bloom today whereas most all the other Bleeding Hearts have all but died down...

Well, maybe I shouldn't say that too loud. Our Honeysuckle still has flowers as well and it covers a similar time frame to the Bleeding Heart shown here.

Attached Files:

6. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have to say every thing as it is spring and we have had a lot of rain for a change. All the new decidious growth is soft and green, Daffodil paddocks are finished but all the azaleas and rhodos are out. The old Hawthorn hedges from a 160 odd years ago are absolutly glorious this year. Masses of flowers as were the wild cherry plums. Should be a good autumn for berries and rare parrots.
    Liz

7. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Everything is still so colorful everyone, very nice.

We have had such heavy frosts here that there is nothing alive in mine now.

8. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

My Loquat tree is now blooming here on Vancouver Island. The recent rains have helped.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

9. Liz

Will that ripen before winter???

I have just had the scrub (overgrown garden) removed from one I bought with me up here from a seaside garden about 25 years ago. It has never flowered so will see what it does now. Down there we always had fruit. Reached 32 C today. Summer is on it's way :/

Liz

10. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Lucky Liz,

Enjoy the summer!

Looks like that Loquat tree is going to be a stunner LPN, good luck with yours Liz.

11. LPN

Well that's anyone's guess really. The flowers are frost sensitive but the fruit should hold if temps don't dip below -4°C (25°F).
    Best of luck with your Loquat tree.

Cheers, LPN.

12. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    These pictures are really not from my garden but a garden I look after for a senior in Vancouver. So in a sence it is in a way my gardened. Anyway this Bonica rose is still putting out some flowers in November, remarkable considering the weather we had at this time last year.

Attached Files:

13. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Thats beautiful Greg!

Awesome color... great for you to take care of such a garden.

14. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

wow, doug! that white iris is absolutely FABULOUS!!! gonna have to get me some!!

i can't believe things this year. my hydrangea bloomed mid-september (i've NEVER seen one bloom any time other than spring in all my life!), i've had black-eyed susan's, coneflowers and sunflowers bloom recently and the roses are STILL blooming!! the osteoporum daisy is still blooming, too. this is november - they're all supposed to be asleep by now!

i do have some pics - need to upload to get them off the camera and the cell phone before i can post 'em.

15. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Amazing that all the rains of late have not destroyed these buds and flowers.
    They are still unfurling in the drier moments and blossoming.
    This New Dawn was one of the few plants that were here when I moved in 20 yrs ago.
    I had left another old one behind at an old farm. How nice to have it for so long.
    But she is a short early summer bloomer most years.
    This year however, she went on and on as this Halloween photo indicates. I've got her supported by tree branches at the back of the garden.
    Some years we get rose buds going on up to xmas but not this one, usually.

D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  16. Last Tea Rose 2009 - this guy is still hanging on.

Attached Files:

17. runningtrails

runningtrails Active Member

Believe it or not, my primulas are still blooming and we are getting snow this week!

18. LPN

Brugmansia is still in bloom, although the fragrance in greatly minimized this time of year.
    Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

19. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Don't have a photo, but I was able to pick an entire bouquet of lovely buds from my QEII rosebush for Thuursday's Thanksgiving table, plus one last bud of Double Delight. The confused things are trying to make new growth, as well. Weather????

20. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

I am noticing that a lot of stuff has new growth at the tips and I was wondering if they normally do or if it was one last drink and growth spurt after the drought we had all summer, before they go to sleep for winter.
    Or is it that they have been semi-dormant and think it is spring now that it is raining?

Brugmansia outside now?? Hmmmm, interesting to try it next year with one I picked up lately.

The rose Kent is in bloom in a sheltered spot.
    Alstromeria, the pink thing, always blooms this time of year and surprises me.
    The Jasmine nudiflorum is only just beginning, my main hummy feeder all winter.

Attached Files:

21. Liz

You may not get much of a winter. We had stuff flowering mid winter over the years of drought. Have just had our wettest Nov in 4 yrs and our hottest in 100. Average 27 C It's so green around here it hurts. If this lot drys off in a hurry fires will have a field day. Every where there is mowing and slashing. I have an extra horse on paddock to control it. Every one is VERY fat.

Today it is a cool teen centigrade. Sharpish souwesterly.

Liz

22. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

We have also had a record wet November here and raining again today. Places have flooded that have not done so in 30 yrs -Duncan, Cowichan.
    We often get the flowering cherries popping open in Dec/Jan if it's mild tho not the past 2 yrs with our unusual amounts of snow and winter all together.
    Sounds nice right now where you are, Liz. 'Everyone is very fat' -ha ha

Let's hope it stays tolerable all over for the approaching holidays.

D

23. Liz

In the hills behind Melbourne Aust. Bushfire central.
    Liz

24. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

We have an area like that now too, in the interior of the province.
    Especially since it got warm enough for the pine beetles to live over the winters and they, the beetles, have left a lot of dead standing timber.
    Wishing you the best then of the fire season, ho ho ho ?
    A little early yet but I just got my 1st xmas email!

D

25. Liz

By fat I meant the well fed animals :)
    Ho HO to you to and bah and humbug:)

Liz