Identification: What Plant is this?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by goldyne, Oct 12, 2004.

1. goldyne

goldyne Member

I found this growing in my garden a few days ago (I live in Santa Barbara, CA). I found it in the morning at about 1 inch tall, and by the end of the day it was 3 inchs. Later that night, I found it half eaten by slugs. however, a few more have come out since then. They grow out of what looks like an egg. The egg itself is soft. One that I was able to protect from the slugs, wilted up the next day. It has plenty of water, and the temp was about 70. I have showed it to some friends, and they have no clue. The pink shaft slides right out of the egg and is in no way attached to anything. The egg has a few roots. Does anyone have any idea what these are? If needed, I have much higher resolution images.

http://68.108.244.182:8001/misc/0.jpg
    http://68.108.244.182:8001/misc/1.jpg
    http://68.108.244.182:8001/misc/2.jpg
    http://68.108.244.182:8001/misc/3.jpg
    http://68.108.244.182:8001/misc/4.jpg

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I cant wait to be told what the heck that is.

3. WildCityWoman

WildCityWoman Member

Heh! Heh!

Me too, Jimmy - that looks like something other than a plant - like a big bug, a moth or something? Maybe a bird?

Guess it couldn't be, or it wouldn't be in your garden, would it?

One of those pics looks like it was wearing a condom. Excuse me - I'm not trying to make a dirty joke, but that's what it looks like. Creepy, I might add.

Carly :-0

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

WCW.... tisk tisk, this is an all ages forum.... ;)

I am thinking plant rather than animal for the ID, but I havent an idea what plant it may be.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks for these pictures, very interesting.

This is the "lantern stinkhorn" fungus, scientifically known as Lysurus mokusin (the similarity of the epithet "mokusin" to my last name is noted - no need for any jokes!).

Here are some links:

Lysurus mokusin photos (scroll down)

Stinkhorns from "The Amazing Kingdom of Fungi".

A couple other points: this is an uncommon fungus in California, so thanks for sharing. I'm also interested as to why you didn't comment on the smell (which should be quite potent...).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  6. goldyne

goldyne Member

Does smell

Thanks for this...

It does smell....I was wondering what the smell around that area was, as I have tomato, bell pepper, and lettuce growing near it. The insects and slugs absolutly loved the thing as they jumped at the opportunity to eat it.

I wonder where it came from...it was growing in two small areas 2 feet from each other in my garden.

If you are interested in more info, let me know.

7. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi

OK
    All jokes a side ( darn hard to do :)
    But in different areas around the globe the stinkhorns ( in herball med) are classified as a fertillity fruit along with a list of other type of ailments.

Also take care in touching the opened bulb with your bare skin as some of them can cause some nasty dermititis.

re Botanical Dermatology/ Plants injurious to the skin /Mitchell @ Rook

The "smell " attracts the slugs and the insects to them and away from your gardens goodies . If you can put up with the smell they are not so bad to have around as a Bait plant

Best regards
    Doug

8. lkliewer

lkliewer Active Member 10 Years

Fungi

Are you sure they aren't filming Alien IV in your neighborhood?

9. i do not know what you have, but think it is similar to something we have found growing only in our red mulch. it first pokes through the ground as a round white ball, soft and w only a few roots. then it splits across the top and an orange birdcage-like thing w only 3-4 spokes pops up. it is connected to teh ball however. It has a little bit of slimy something in the middle that stinks like something that has been dead for a couple of weeks. please let me know if you find out what it is and how to get rid of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2006
  10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sounds like the same one described in this thread (also includes a non-answer on how to get rid of it)