What orchid is this?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by ihs, Mar 11, 2005.

1. ihs

ihs Member

I was given this little orchid in Korea five years ago. I took it home and it basically sat there in sleep mode until last year when it suddenly sprang to life and produced new stems and leaves. The flowers are scented, with a hint of what I perceive as anise. I would love to know what species this belong to.

Attached Files:

2. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you do not mind the run around with the online
    searches and from a host of Orchid web sites and
    sellers selling cut flower bouquets, then look at
    some photos of Dendrobium. There are many
    forms of Dendrobium so what appears to be an
    easy task is not so simple at all online as I've
    found out trying to pinpoint yours.

Jim

3. ihs

ihs Member

Hi Jim,
    I've spent hours Googling but there are just too many species. What I haven't found is a good database set up for orchid identification, allowing you to feed in various characteristics to narrow down the possibilities. My little specimen may well be a Dendrobium but with over a thousand species, who knows?
    Ineke

4. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. ihs

ihs Member

Hi Jim,

Thank you very much indeed for that tip. The leaves on my plant are not variegated as you point out but it does look a great deal like the Dendrobium moniliforme. I received it as a gift from a native Korean in Chinhae who was growing all sorts of orchids on his balcony, and who knows what native species of this genus exist without having been officially identified and named. I'm just thrilled it sprang into life and bloom after pouting lo these many years, perhaps in response to my threats...

I have another tiny little orchid as yet unidentified. It looks like an attractive type of ground cover and happily blooms year after year. I'll send you a picture when the time comes.

Many thanks for your help.

Ineke