What kind of Magnolia am I looking for?

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by wilheldp, Jul 3, 2012.

1. wilheldp

wilheldp Member

I have a perfect place for a Magnolia tree on my land, and I have seen several that I really like around town. The problem is, I have no idea what variety it is that I keep seeing.

The one I want is round in shape, has the large waxy leaves, and large white flowers. They are about 20 feet all and 20 to 25 feet wide. I believe they are evergreens, but cannot tell for sure since I have really only noticed them in spring/summer.

The nurseries around here all have several deciduous varieties (smaller, non-waxy leaves) and the evergreen varieties they have are the tall, pyramidal shapes (Little Gem, DD Blanchard).

Can anyone identify the variety of Magnolia that I am seeing? Did they just trim a pyramidal variety to be round in shape?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You probably are talking about M. grandiflora, a much-planted, highly variable species. You could be looking at a clonal cultivar that is still on the general market, or one that is no longer being circulated. Or an assortment of unselected seedlings that have produced similar crown shapes.

Three more bushy ones that have been prevalent in outlets here in the recent past are 'St. Mary', 'Monland' and 'Victoria'. The second is a presumed hybrid with M. virginiana.

3. wilheldp

wilheldp Member

Thanks for the quick response. I think Monland might be it. Apparently Monrovia patented that cultivar, but unfortunately, they haven't sent any to nearby nurseries recently.

I am going to continue checking the local places to see if I can score a more rounded cultivar. But I might be looking for a while.

4. Ron B

5. wilheldp

wilheldp Member

That one seems a little small (8 to 10 feet tall and wide). I realize it might take several years, but I'd like to be able to mow under the tree. I may try to hunt down a Monland.

Is it possible to take a clipping from a magnolia and cultivate it into a nearly identical tree? I'm not very well versed in landscaping, so if it requires advanced techniques, I probably can't do it well.

6. Ron B

It will of course grow triple that size in time, see the USPTO description (at second link) that says it grows larger than 'Little Gem'.