What is this plant??

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Holvure, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Holvure

Holvure New Member

This bulb thing started growing outside my house. I removed it and put it into a pot because it was very close to the house and I was worried it might cause damage if it turned out to be something big. It grew back, twice. I removed it two move times, planting each in pots, and it’s growing back in like 5 new places now! I’m not so much concerned as I am fascinated by whatever this is. My family and I call it “the thing,” haha. Could anyone please offer some insight on what this might be? I live on the west coast of Florida, by the way. Near Tampa.

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Don't recognize it offhand. Is this your first year with this plant? Did you notice any scent when digging it up? How stuck together are the rhizomes or bulbs?

I have no experience with tuberose, but I'm leaning that way on ID. Tolerates high heat and sun, can be prolific fall flowering, and has relatively slender leaves for a bulb that will do well in Florida. I would have expected more leafy growth, but if you've been repeatedly digging it up and moving it about you might not see much. The dark green rhizome makes me think it needs to go a little deeper. Florida bulbs are not typically planted the way temperate climate bulbs are, though.

Just a general note, most bulb or rhizome plants will not damage foundations. You would need a woody root or culm perhaps from a bamboo or a hardwood tree. This does not look like bamboo at all.

3. Holvure

Holvure New Member

Yeah this is my first year with it, I first noticed in mid September. By then it was already about half the size of my first so I’d assume it had been there a little while before that. I didn’t notice any particular scent when digging it up, but then again I wasn’t paying much attention to that. The bulbs aren’t stuck together at all except of one of them.