Identification: What is this plant, and is it normally supposed to be so fragile?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Pumathang, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Pumathang

Pumathang New Member

I'm a houseplant novice who has recently assumed care of some battered plants, with mostly positive results so far. I've been able to identify most of my plants by googling images, but this one has me stumped. I think it looks kind of like a variation of trandescantia, but I could be wrong. The coloring sort of resembles the oyster/Moses in the cradle plant, but I have one of those and it's definitely something different.

Its soil is in pretty poor shape and in desperate need of repotting, but it's extremely fragile and just touching this plant will usually knock a big section of vine off (usually 6-12 inch sections). It was pretty dried out a few weeks ago, but has since greened back up and looks much healthier than it did a few weeks ago. I occasionally find a brown leaf, but the rest of them seem healthy and soft, so it's not falling apart because it's dry, but maybe there is lingering damage. I have another pot full of lost pieces that seem to grow just fine after being stuck in the dirt, though none of them are long enough yet to break off if they are gently bumped like the original plant.

Any insight as to what this might be would be greatly appreciated. :)

Attached Files:

• dp1.jpg
      dp1.jpg
      File size:
      253.5 KB
      Views:
    • dp2.jpg
      dp2.jpg
      File size:
      278.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I think some tough love is in order here. From the looks of it, this plant has been too long in the same soil in the same pot. The spaces between leaves indicate that it has perhaps been growing in too little light as well and is more vulnerable to breaking as a result. Personally, I would toss the mother plant and start again with maybe 6 - 9 cuttings in fresh soil. There's lots of info on the web to guide you choose the best soil and ideal location as well as ongoing care suggestions. If this plant is a tradescantia (it certainly looks like one), it will quickly grow to the length you want and you can keep it pinched to maintain a nice bushy shape.

3. Pumathang

Pumathang New Member

Thanks for the reply. You're right, this plant did not have good light before, and the bases of the vines are pretty bare. There is a lot of new growth at the end, and it seems like the stems are considerably thicker out there than they are at the base, so I don't think it can support its own weight very well. It has earned itself the nickname "jenga plant," so I have the feeling I would end up with a pile of clippings even if I did try to repot it normally, and cutting my losses may be the best way to go. I don't think "trandescantia jenga" is a recognized species, so perhaps this plant was in such bad shape that it's really supposed to look quite different...

4. HollyHok

HollyHok Active Member

Easy to root wandering jew and your plant is very likely that re: trandescantia. There are several species. Which one I am not 100% sure. Simply take a 4-6" cutting just below a node. Place the cutting in a glass of water & will root quickly. Then pot up. Or use 3" pot, some soft wood rooting hormone and new potting soil. Do a bit of research to arm yourself with some useful tricks to rooting wandering jew cuttings in soil.

As for the mother plant, Use a larger pot than it is in now. Use new potting soil and transplant as is. If pieces fall off, then stick them in a jar of water to root. If you find yourself with way more cuttings than you desire, share with your friends.
    Once transplanted, you could give the plant a nice light cut back and a light fertilization. Shultz's plant food is good for houseplants but use a weaker strength than the measurements say for now.
    A Wandering Jew enjoys bright light and temp between 55 - 75F. Feed monthly.

Pumathang likes this.