British Columbia: What is eating our kale?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Jessica Fallible, May 23, 2016.

1. Jessica Fallible

Jessica Fallible New Member

Hi!

I live in Vancouver, BC, and I have a second-floor apartment with a patio, where I've been starting a mini garden, mostly in pots and containers. I've been growing kale, chard, peas, and more. Anyway, recently, the chard started being eaten by something—rapidly. Like, overnight, many leaves would disappear. People said it might be slugs, so we put coffee grounds and eggshells around the chard, and it seemed to help. We put a little around the kale too, but then the kale all disappeared within a few days.

Also, it disappeared so quickly, and I've never seen slugs, so I'm wondering if it could be birds or squirrels... But do they eat things overnight? I think it's happening mostly overnight. I checked multiple times during the daytime once, and nothing seemed to change

Anyway, here are some photos of the damage. The leaves look sort of gnawed at... Anyway, it's very frustrating, and things are disappearing rapidly. The leaves of a cucumber plant and the peas also got a bit chewed.

Any ideas what's causing this and how to prevent it?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. goan86

goan86 New Member

Hi Jessica, have you ruled out cabbage worms or cabbage loopers? Whenever you see those white butterflies/moths flying around that usually means those pest are near by.

Try looking at the base of leafy plants and under the leaves. They like to hide so if my plant is sturdy enough I give it a good shake to see if they fall out.

Try picking them off but if they keep coming back then spray em with BT, I believe it's organic and available at Rona and Gardenworks.