British Columbia: What happened to my radishes?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by akimbo, Aug 22, 2011.

1. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Planted our radishes about two months ago. Got lots of leaves but the bases are just tough and skinny. Garden was well watered. What happened? Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

The most common cause for no radish root production is too high a nitrogen content in the soil. You may be using a fertilizer that is too high in nitrogen, resulting in great top growth but essentially nothing in the roots. If they are being grown in too much shade, root development will be either poor or non-existent.

3. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

I didn't add anything to the soil, just compost, but the location did have part shade so that may be it. It looks like my carrots have met the same end. Thanks.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Those plants are far too crowded for good root development; they need more space, especially in a partly shaded location. Leafy greens are the only vegetables that will be productive under those conditions. The Stokes on-line seed catalog is a good source of information regarding the spacing requirements of vegetables.

5. akimbo

akimbo Active Member

Yes, That's probably it. I did only little thinning and there is some shade.