What happened to my bryonia?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Amitai, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Hello everyone,
    I tried to grow bryonia (a type of squash) and it just doesn't look good; the flowers come out but they dry out after a while. Also the leafs turned to be white (if I rub them, they return to thier regular color). It can't be dried - it gets a lot of water and it gets enough sunlight.
    If somebody can tell me what to do it would really help

Thanks, Amitai

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Amitai, I am curious about the white of the leaves that rubs off. Is it like a powdery mildew or fungus? I had trouble with that on my squash last year although they did make a few fruit anyway. It may help if you can tell us where you are located and I am curious if you have been having wet or dry conditions.

After squash flowers are pollinated they do dry and fall off as a fruit forms. Are there no tiny fruits beginning where the flowers fall off?

3. Thanks for your reply.
    I am located in Israel, in a dry location (near the desert). The whiteness of the leaves is like a kind of powder that doesn't come off easily - it isn't wet. Regretfully, the flowers come out, then fall and no fruit comes out.
    The plant is about three months old.
    Amtai

4. It sounds like powdery mildew, just spray it with a fungicide.

What species Bryonia are you growing? The red-fruited Bryonia dioica is, as the name suggests, dioecious; that might explain why you are not getting any fruits. Be careful with the herb, it's quite poisonous.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't think resorting to a fungicide is necessary, is it? Particularly for something in a food garden...

6. True, it is perhaps not the best solution... If it's necessary to use anything sulfur powder is relatively harmless, so is the mineral oil-based ones; avoid any systemic fungicides.