What do you suggest for a small tree for the front of my house facing west, lots of

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by kathyburton, Apr 22, 2009.

1. kathyburton

kathyburton Member

I am looking for ideas of a small tree about max 15 to 20 feet for the front yard in front of my house facing west, lots of sun.

Thanks,
    Kathy

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Re: What do you suggest for a small tree for the front of my house facing west, lot

Ceanothos victoriana which is actually a shrub, but evergreen with fragrant blue (usually) flowers in summer. 1-2m. tall.

Malus (so many types of colourful crab apples) up to 6m, tall or slightly more depending on which var.

Tilia mongolica (Linden tree) 8m.

Buddleya davidii (so many to choose from) attracks butterflies and humingbirds. It is deciduous and max. height 5 m.

Acer palmatum (max 9m.)

Cydonia (flowering Quince) 3m.

Cornus mas with yellow blooms... (flowering dogwood) 3m.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: What do you suggest for a small tree for the front of my house facing west, lot

Some 'Victoria' didn't pass through this last winter in the best shape. And it does not have a tree shape.

Great variety of flowering crabapples might be best place to look. Choose a disease-resistant one.

Butterfly bush has become quite a pest in this region so I wouldn't plant one of those.

Many kinds and sizes of Japanese maple cultivars also, but internet forums are peppered with queries from people having problems with these. The typical green species is not so problematic.

Native vine maple is related to this but adapted to local climate. An alternative for a hotter position is Douglas maple. Looks more like a red maple (Acer rubrum) than a Japanese or vine maple. Strong fall color often lacking but twigs may be noticeably reddish in winter, fruits also can be colorful in summer.

4. K Baron

Ceonothos victoria has struggled this past winter in PoMo..... best think of a shrub that will over winter ....try Nandina...

5. Ron B

I've actually seen more sad nandinas this year than 'Skylark' (probably the proper name for 'Victoria'). In the Camano Island garden the ceanothus was burnt somewhat but most of the Heavenly Bamboo appeared to have gone there themselves.

6. K Baron

Cornus eligantissima is a hardy and visually stunning shrub, both summer and winter...

7. Ron B

That would be Cornus alba 'Elegantissima'. Cappiello/Shadow, Dogwoods (2005, Timber Press, Portland) list it as C. alba 'Argenteo-marginata':

"It is often listed incorrectly as C. elegantissima or C. alba 'Elegantissima'"

8. cindys

cindys Active Member

How about one of the smaller Magnolias...there is a series called the Little Girl series (Susan, Ann, Elizabeth...). I have Susan in my back yard...she did very well this winter and is now just about to flower.

Depending upon the space available, you might consider a Weeping Katsura. They don't grow too tall, but can spread quite a bit (although they can be controlled a bit). I have one in my front yard - also west facing - and it is doing nicely.

Final suggestion - Cornus Kousa Satomi. This is a very pretty little dogwood tree with pink flowers in June.

Like other responders, I would definitely NOT plant any Ceanothus in the Lower Mainland. All of the Ceanothus at VanDusen Botanical Garden are dead, mine is dead, everyone I know who has one has a dead one.

Unlike other responders, I have had good luck with my two Japanese maples (the one in the front yard that is west facing is Acer palmatum atropurpureum; the one in the back yard is Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku'). You really must make sure these trees are planted correctly and have lots and lots of water in the summer in the first couple of years.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  9. Ron B

'Elizabeth' is not one of the Kosar and De Vos (Little Girl) hybrid magnolias from the US National Arboretum. These are crosses between lily and star magnolias and produce purplish flowers (except for 'Pinkie'). 'Elizabeth' is from a cross between the cucumber tree and the Yulan magnolia made at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, and bears yellow flowers turning nearly white. An example of this cultivar growing in the Seattle arboretum was 34' tall several years ago.

Unlike stock sold as Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Pendulum', the C. japonicum 'Morioka Weeping' Katsura tree produces a leader to develop an elevated crown. It was long grown as C. magnificum 'Pendulum'.

A Kousa dogwood in Seattle had an average crown spread exceeding 48' several years ago. Another, elsewhere in town was over 41' tall at about the same time. Cornus kousa 'Satomi' is not a dwarf cultivar.

Many problems mentioned on the internet with blackening and dieback of coralbark maples.