what could be turning my sago brown?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by honolua, Aug 3, 2009.

1. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi,
    I have a sago with a trunk about 1/2 a foot tall. It is a year old and was happy in it's pot inside, with lots of growth (in sago terms!). Suddenly, the lower branches are going brown. I don't know what is wrong. It has been in the same spot for a year, never bothered or turned around. I do not overwater it as I have a soil moisture stick I use to ensure it needs water. Is it too much direct sun? Not enough? Currently, it is in a spot with lots of filtered sunlight in the afternoon/evening, but not directly in front of a window.
    Help!

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

When you say 'currently', does this mean it was in a different spot prior to the spot it is in now? Was it in front of a window before? What has changed, since the plant began to go downhill?

Check to see if roots are coming out the bottom - it could need to be re-potted.

: )

3. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi,
    Sorry, I did not mean to say currently....it has not moved in a year. I will check the bottom though, in case roots are coming out. I would be surprised though, as this pot is not too big, but not too small for it either....still, you never know!

4. The Hollyberry Lady

Check the undersides of the leaves as well, for evidence of spider mites and their webbing...

Maybe your plant would like some nutrients - ever tried fertilizing it? Sometimes plants in pots need some added food to keep them healthy.

: )

5. honolua

honolua Active Member

Yep, I have given it slow release fertilizer and I have checked the leaves....no mites. I just can't understand it! Out of the blue! I plan to have another good look at it tomorrow in daylight and see if I can find anything else that might give a clue!
    THanks,

6. The Hollyberry Lady

It's a real stumper, if absolutely nothing has changed, and the plant thrived in the same spot for a year, and out out of the blue it is having a tantrum!

: O

Look for soil bugs as well. All I can think of, from what you're telling me, is that it's root-bound
    ~ or maybe now that it's bigger, it wants more light. Yes, good idea, check more thoroughly in the daytime.

You are welcome. Hope we can figure this out...