What breed is my Cactus?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Novel, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Novel

Novel Member

(not sure if Im posting this right, lol P:!)

Okay so I bought a cactus today :) I wanted a "pretty flower" that could live inside (I'm in a apartment) and be alright with minimal care (since I go to school and don't have the best of memory...)

But I know for-sure I want to keep it alive, so I need to figure out what breed it is so I can look up some care information :)

Here are some pictures:

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

That's actually two different cacti, grafted together. Sorry I can't help with a more precise ID. Maybe when Cactus Jack wakes up...

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the top part is gymnocalycium mihanovichii friedrichii and it's grafted to another type of cactus (probably a hylocereus).

4. Novel

Novel Member

(I hope double posting is okay!)

After a little more searching, I think I may have a Red Moon Cactus or "Gymnocalycium mihanovichii", anyone agree?

edit:

Ahah we all post at the same time!

I didn't realize two breeds could be grafted together! Well, I'll definately be looking more into this :)

5. lorax

Jocelyn, do you really think the bottom's a hylocerus? I'm used to those being epiphytes, but this one's clearly in soil.

6. Novel

Novel Member

Yes he's in soil :P

I did a little more picture-looking and I think he is just a plain 'ol Gymnocalycium mihanovichii because his stem and 'head' I guess is what its called looks exactly like the pictures :) He even has little bubs growing on his 'head'!

I'm not a cactus person so I don't know, but thats what I think :)

7. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I think the bottom root stock is Myrtillocactus geometrizans.

8. joclyn

lorax, i bought a similar item at halloween - purple gymno on top of a hylocerus undatus. at least that's what i was told (on a different forum) when i asked what the two were. no one corrected the statement about the root stock, in fact it was agreed to by another person, so i'm taking it as correct. i'd also found the same info on a website.

i was also told (and it was confirmed by three others on that forum) that the gymno i have would do okay without being grafted. seems the red, yellow, orange types don't have any chlorophyl and can't live on their own and need to be grafted to something else.

i haven't de-grafted it yet, so time will tell if it will live on it's own roots.

oh, novel's plant is probably in peat moss, like mine is (not soil).

9. Bluewing

Joclyn,

There might different root stocks used, the plant industry does so many crazy things these days!
    I always see them but never had one, with all this talk I just might get me one!
    Are you really going to separate your moon cactus? I'd be afraid the top would die since as you know, it gets it's food from the bottom cactus. From what I read the tops are messed with to make all those colors in Korea I think it was?
    If you do separate them, I'd be curious to find out how it went:>)

10. Novel

Novel Member

I'm slightly confused. I bought "Cactus soil" because the jar he came in was too small for him, so I transferred him over to the jar he is in currently. Should I have bought a different type of soil? He still has the original soil, of course.. I'm just worried I may have done somthing wrong?

11. lorax

no no no, cactus soil is perfect.

12. joclyn

novel, the cactus soil is actual the correct soil - you did good on that! usually, when the plants come from the grower, they're in peat - which isn't all that good long term for most plants and most especially cactus, so repotting them within a couple of weeks and putting them in the correct soil for their needs is a good thing to do.

bluewing, from what i understand, the moon cacti that are red, yellow or orange can not live on their own. the purple type can as the purple one has the chlorophyl (the others don't) so it can produce the nutrients the plant needs to survive.

i thought i'd try one of the pups first - there are two that are a pretty good size now. if they go well, then i'll know that i can safely de-graft the main piece.

13. Novel

Novel Member

Alright -phew!- I was worried :) The store had a lot of soil types but the Cactus Soil just screamed "obvious!" *lol*

Thank you all for your help :)

14. Bluewing

Joclyn,
    That's something! I didn't know the "purple one" could survive on it's own. A purple cactus in a pot, who knew! That will be nice!

15. daggett003

daggett003 Member

Where can I get cactus soil? I have the same cactus as shown in the picture. Anyone have care instructions?

16. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Joclyn,

How did the de-grafting go?

17. lorax

Dagget - cactus soil can be purchased at your local garden center. Look for labels that say "Cactus Soil" - it's pretty common.

18. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

The commercial stuff passing as "cactus soil" is typically too rich for growing succulents. If it is dark and humusy, succulents will not do well in it.

The best soil for succulents it rich in drainage materials and with little or no humus. Usually, you need to make your own from scratch.

Degrafting grafted cactus is a bad idea. Don't do it.

19. chilipepper

chilipepper Active Member

the top is a ruby ball cactus. its a mutation that has no chlorophyl, thats why its on a graft, it relies the stock to for nutrients. it cannot perform photosynthesis by itself.