Identification: what are stampini

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by rmk123, Oct 4, 2014.

1. rmk123

rmk123 New Member

An Italian friend just came back from picking in the Castlegar area with mushrooms he always collects at this time of year. He calls them Stampini???? Some help please ,,,,wondering what these are----maybe some pictures??? Thanks, Ron

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Yes, some pictures could be a good idea, or at the very least some description how the mushrooms look, otherwise we can only guess what your friend means by 'Stampini'. May be he means Porcini which is a common name for Boletus edulis. To quote Wikipedia:

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes please do post photos Ron, I am very curious!

frog

4. Frog

... I've just done a quick run through of a longish list of Italian fungi names and nothing is similar sounding, and very few names beginning with S.
    However, like we experience with English language names, there are always regional common names folks use. Which is a big reason why we tend to use the latin/greek scientific names to discuss mushrooms/fungi so that we all know what we are referring to :-).

cheers,

- frog

5. rmk123

rmk123 New Member

Well. just returned from the W Kootenay area after finding and picking the mystifying "Stampini" mushrooms. Tried to attach an image (first time,,hope it loads) My guess is that its the Honey mushroom,,Armillariella mellea??? anybody tell from the photo??? Cheers, Ron

Attached Files:

6. Frog

Yup - if you confirm they have white spores then I'd say they are Honey mushrooms Armillariella group.

My mushroom-in-several-languages resource says that in Italian Agarico color di miele or Chiodini, but I'm sure names are regional and that there would be multiples for Honeys :-). But also I see an English name "Stumpers," that makes me wonder if Stampini relates to stumps?

cheers
    -frog

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Armillaria mellea.

"Armillariella" appears to be a synonym of Armillaria; since Armillaria mellea is the type species of Armillaria, it can't be split out from it into a separate genus ;-)

8. Frog

Sorry - Armillaria
    :-)
    frog