weird plant

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Barbara Lloyd, May 16, 2009.

1. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I just have to crow a bit. At MG Plant Cinic last thurs. a patron brought in two sandwich bags with "Moss" from his lawn wanting to know how to get rid of it. We gave him the general info on moss elimination and he turned to leave. I asked him if I could please keep his samples.
    One sample was pretty much moss but the other looked different. Like "you've seen it before but can't remember what it was"?.
    I took it home and first looked for a Moss & Lichen area on UBC - nothing. So went on the web. Moss - no. Something about mugworts kept rattling around in the back of my mind. Finally I ended up on a site with "Lungworts". After going thru site after site and page after page I FOUND IT!
    Take a look under Liverwort "Marchanta Polymorpha". It's really different and yes - cute. Little brite green balls on the very dark green leaves grow up to (as my daughter said) look like "Truffula Trees" Umbrella type branches that are shaped like bananas.
    Remember when it took a huge library and hours to look things up? Now it's a trip thru the World Wide Web. What will the next 10 or 20 years bring? ....barb

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Fascinating plant, have noticed some kind of liverwort growing here but never paid too much attention to it. "occurs from tropical to arctic regions", interesting. Amazing world.

3. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Katalina, your pretty blue flowers is an Hepatica!

5. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Hmmm...

Very nice.
    Thanks silver surfer!

6. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Katalina,
    It is the 2nd link with polymorpha in it, not the hepatica. The last pic where it's 'blooming' is the one that looks like my sample.
    The large obvious world of shrubs, trees and plants we see all the time harbors a much smaller world of extraordinarily bizarre plants and creatures....barb

7. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Thanks Barb,

I don't like them.lolol