Identification: Weeping Cherry Tree leaf damage

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by dwebb91128, Apr 28, 2015.

1. dwebb91128

dwebb91128 New Member

I moved into a new home in the summer of 2013. It had a beautiful established weeping tree that I believe is a cherry. That winter was very harsh in Delaware, and the following spring I noticed that the tree did not bloom properly, but only on one side. One half of the tree seemed fine, and the other had very sparse leaf growth. I had bought a spray for bag worms for some evergreens, and sprayed some on the cherry also, hoping it would help. It did not. Now again this spring, the tree seems to have the same problem, on the same side. I have a weeping willow that seems to have the exact same problem. One side has bloomed beautifully, and the other side seems to be dying. Initially I thought these problems were from the harsh winter and that the trees just needed time to overcome the damage. But now I'm not so sure. The only thing that I've done differently is to start lawn care service. I didn't think this would damage my trees. Any thoughts on what could be happening?

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I'm sorry no-one has replied to this, as I know nothing about tree care (and absolutely nothing about Willows). Cherries don't enjoy a very long life in many parts of this continent, where the climate is so different from their native climate. We certainly see lots of trees that have had limbs removed, presumably because that section has died. I don't know whether that is more likely to happen on a grafted tree, where the graft on one part did not work as well as on another part.

3. dwebb91128

dwebb91128 New Member

Thank you, Wendy!