We don't see these plants on streets and in parks

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Nadia White Rock, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

We don't see these plants on streets and in parks, native to South America, they are quite rare here and blooming now in UBC Botanical garden, Alpine garden, all trees in the same area. Come and catch the moment

Azara microphylla, native to Chile, Argentina, willow family
    Azara microphylla, Chile, Argentina,1ASA .jpg

Maytenus boaria, native to S. America, Celastraceae family
    Maytenus boaria,S. America,Celastraceae .jpg

Nothofagus antarctica, native to Chile, Argentina, Nothofagus family
    Nothofagus antarctica,Chile,Argentina 1ASA.jpg

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

These fit in to the title of this thread, though unlike the ones Nadia posted, they're not from South America. These are from the Asian Garden.

The Staphylea holocarpa var. rosea was the featured plant today at the garden. This one is behind the Campbell office building.
    20130425_UBCBG_StaphyleaHolocarpaVarRosea_Cutler_P1430284.jpg 20130425_UBCBG_StaphyleaHolocarpaVarRosea_Cutler_P1430288.jpg 20130425_UBCBG_StaphyleaHolocarpaVarRosea_Cutler_P1430287.jpg

Individual flowers on the Rhododendron primuliflorum are around 1cm in diameter. So sweet.
    20130425_UBCBG_RhododendronPrimuliflorum_Cutler_P1430348.jpg 20130425_UBCBG_RhododendronPrimuliflorum_Cutler_P1430350.jpg

The Xanthoceras sorbifolium outside the office is budding up now.
    20130425_UBCBG_XanthocerasSorbifolium_Cutler_P1430282.jpg

I've been trying for a year to get a photo of the bark on the Lagerstroemia subcostata var. fauriei in focus. This will sort-of do.
    20130425_UBCBG_LagerstroemiaSubcostataVarFauriei_Cutler_P1430266.jpg

3. Nadia White Rock

My last visit was very exciting. Everybody can see bright beautiful rhododendrons and all camellias are gorgeous this year.
    After thinking what I prefer to post this time I chose these 2 plants.
    Xanthorhiza simplicissima, in Carolinian garden, which is still looks empty compare to Asian and Alpine gardens
    Tiny abundant very dark flowers.
    Xanthorhiza,simplicissima,E,c USA   4C06 .jpg

Syringa pinnatifolia, native to China, in Asian garden. I would never guess that this is a lilac. Compound leaves and tiny long flowers.
    Syringa pinnatifolia, c w  China.3AE8.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  4. Nadia White Rock

Incarvillea forrestii & Haberlea rhodopensis

Incarvillea forrestii, native to China, Bignoniaceae family
    Incarvillea forrestii,China.JPG

and

Haberlea rhodopensis, native to Bulgaria, Greece, Gesneriaceae family
    Haberlea rhodopensis, Gesneriaceae,Bulgaria, Greece.jpg

5. wcutler

Here's a different Staphylea - S. bumalda, just a wee shrub.
    20130516_UBCBG_StaphyleaBumalda_Cutler_P1460662.jpg 20130516_UBCBG_StaphyleaBumalda_Cutler_P1460664.JPG

Andy Hill came along just as we were wondering about the ID of this Schisandra rubriflora. He said it was getting a lot of interest.
    20130516_UBCBG_SchisandraRubriflora_Cutler_P1460440.jpg

Nadia was very excitedly waiting to see the flowers on the Sinofranchetia chinensis, and was so disappointed when I noticed it was already open and this is all they were going to be. These are very tiny flowers. Nice, though, in their own nearly invisible way.
    20130516_UBCBG_SinofranchetiaChinensis_Cutler_P1460497.jpg

This Photinia beauverdiana is not much competition for P. x fraseri that's planted all around town.
    20130516_UBCBG_PhotiniaBeauverdiana_Cutler_P1460320.jpg

I have no idea if Piptanthus nepalensis is rare or really is found in streets and parks. Nice flowers.
    20130516_UBCBG_PiptanthusNepalensis_Cutler_P1460325.jpg

The highlight of my day was finding this orchid - I think it's the Platanthera dilatata that's supposed to be in this pond area.
    20130516_UBCBG_PlatantheraDilatata_Cutler_P1460544.jpg 20130516_UBCBG_PlatantheraDilatata_Cutler_P1460546.jpg

6. wcutler

Too many highlights - I forgot (at least) one. The cone on this Larix speciosa is too colourful to not mention.

Attached Files: