Identification: waterdrinker

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by scarlet poppy, Jan 24, 2003.

1. scarlet poppy

scarlet poppy Member

Hi!

New Years Eve I bought a plant which` english name is "Waterdrinker", the latin name I don`t remember. It`s a small medium green plant. I was told that I had to get it inddor fast, because it didn`t not tolerate cold weather.

It drinks a lot of water. One day I noticed it was compleatly dry and apparently dead, but of course I tried to rescue it with some water, and to my great surprise: A few hours later it looked fresh as ever!

And today! It wasn`t dry or anything, but I gave it some water anyway as I know how thirsty it is, and I actually saw with my own eyes how it liftet its branches the instant I gave it water, about 2 -3 centimeter upwards (my daughter saw it too, I`m not crazy).

Now, I`ve heard the urban story about the strange exotic plant that does this and actually is full of snakes, but if this is the case it have to be microscopic snakes, because this is a small plant.

Does anyone by any chance know anything about this plant? Please, facts & fiction, anything you can tell me about it is of great interest!

scarlet poppy

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

A plant that looks much like a fern, the Ressurrection plant or selaginella lepidophyla would respond in the way you describe. Dense tufts of dark reen leaves when dry curl into a ball that opens into a flat rosette when soaked with water. Now you can look on the internet for more information and pictures.

3. scarlet poppy

scarlet poppy Member

Thanks!

scarlet poppy