British Columbia: Water in new planted shrub?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by monkeygirl, Nov 1, 2011.

1. monkeygirl

monkeygirl Active Member

Hi, I just planted a 3ft heavenly bamboo, do I have to water it in if it says we're going to get rain all day tommorrow and for the next 2 days (lots) I don't want to drown it. Thanks

2. monkeygirl

monkeygirl Active Member

I paniced and watered it in anyway, I just couldn't leave it without watering, it didn't seem right.

You can delete this thread mod. Thanks anyway.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, would have to rain buckets to do the same job as a person soaking it in after planting.

4. monkeygirl

monkeygirl Active Member

Winter protection?

I have a new question now. Along with that newly planted Sienna Sunrise Bamboo, earlier I planted another Bamboo (June) a Smokebush, Rodo and a Katsuma Maple (in Aug) Barberry (today) All are approx 3-4ft.

Should I wrap, cover or stake them in any way, especially the Maple and Sienna Sunrise (I'd die if I killed those guys) I've never protected anything before, it's new to me. I can't really find any exact answers searching.

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

FWIW Heavenly bamboo is not a true Bamboo. ;)
    at this time of year no protection should be necessary, if we get a cold, dry spell in winter consider wrapping them periodically (a few days at a time) with a heavy duty garbage bag to keep the dessicating wind at bay. Those plants should be hardy enough except in a harsh winter for our area. The only one that I would be concerned about is the Heavenly Bamboo, they can take some damage in hard frosts (-8C or colder -roughly), good drainage is also important.