water cacti

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by dzaney, Jul 13, 2005.

1. dzaney

dzaney Member

i inhereted a small cactus that had been kept in a large vase of water for over a year, maybe more. (a fish used to live in the vase too...its a long story). i also have a piece of a jade plant that i accidentally broke off and had been keeping in a cup of water. i decided that it was time to plant them, and put them in pots with succulent soil and some drops of cactus food, but i'm concerned that the roots may not be able to take food from the soil. i've been keeping the soil really moist, (i know you're generally not supposed to do that), to sort of ease the plants into being in soil. does anyone have any suggestions? the aforementioned cactus piece has a lot of sentimental value involving the fish and a cat that has sinced passed on (like i said...long story). thank you!

2. Megami

Megami Active Member 10 Years

What type of cactus is it? Do you have pictures?

Sounds like an interesting story regarding the cat and fish

3. dzaney

dzaney Member

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures at the moment, i'll try to get some and put them here, but I think it's a christmas cactus. its awful droopy, but it was awful droopy for the years it was living in the vase too....