Washingtonias in BC

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Gnimoyw, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Gnimoyw

Gnimoyw New Member

I was wondering if anyone has any experience growing Washingtonias Filifera or Robusta in Vancouver or Victoria. I know Filiferas are more cold hardy, but Robustas are more rain tolerant, so I was thinking it would be a good idea to plant Filiferas in the ground and place a metal or plastic layer around the palm to prevent too much rainwater from seeping into the soil around the roots. I want to grow these lovely palms because of their massive fans and height, but I don't want them dying in the winter.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi, I presented to the Pacific Northwest Palm and Exotic Plant Society last night, and I asked around about your question (how's that for service?!)

The short, secondhand, answer: yes, there are some people who have had some success with growing these locally -- a hybrid between the two species was ground-grown for ~15 years until it succumbed to root rot a couple years ago. The gentleman who grew them is Charlie Warburton; if you can find a way to get your hands on the May 2010 issue of Hardy Palm International, he has an article about them: PNWPEPS: Hardy Palm International

(you could also attend a PNWPEPS meeting, Charlie was there and he's a great fellow to chat with)

3. Gnimoyw

Gnimoyw New Member

I wonder how you could prevent root rot. Do you know where this palm grew and if there are any pictures?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think you may need to make the effort to chat with Charlie directly (by contacting the PNWPEPS). He specifically mentioned that many pictures were taken of it, and I think he's going to be trying to grow it again.