Wanted: cuttings from Desert King fig in Victoria area

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by kmuncaster, Jan 23, 2015.

1. kmuncaster

kmuncaster New Member

I am hoping to graft a 'Desert King' onto my small Negronne fig tree while we're still in the dormant season, and need some branches to use. Do you have a desert king that could spare some cuttings, in the Victoria area?

Free would ideal, or a trade--you can have cuttings from my Negronne (aka Violette de Bordeaux). I can also offer an incredibly long-blooming pink rosebush, 3 small haskaps, a marionberry, or a boysenberry.

In case you're wondering, I planted the Negronne because of its known to stay small, but I have been frustrated that much of the second crop doesn't ripen in time before frost (Some people in the PNW adore it though, that's why I tried it). Desert King has a large breba crop but gets big, so at this point I figure I'll try using a graft and see if that works.

Katherine

2. ConnieVic

ConnieVic New Member

3. kmuncaster

kmuncaster New Member

Thank you for the offer Connie! I am a little reticent if your dad called them "italian" as italian honey fig is a different variety that i am less keen on.

I am however looking for a good home for my 3 little haskaps if u want them. Email me privately to arrange.

4. Arrowsmith Fig Farm

Arrowsmith Fig Farm New Member

Arrowsmith Figs - August 5, 2018
    We have a Desert King or Italian Fig (?). I think it looks more like a Desert King. It has just ripened. They are at least 2 weeks late ripening. The figs are light green outer skin and sweet pinky pulp inside. They are great eating and then they make great jam. We freeze the over ripened figs and make jam when we have time in the winter.
    When the figs start arriving, they need to be picked everyday for about two weeks then they're done until next year. The weather this summer has been a record low at night so they're very late. If the day and evening temperatures don't get higher than we will have a very short season and lots of figs won't ripen at all.