Identification: Very strange fungus causing purple Snow Peas

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Riley Dimech, Nov 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Riley Dimech

Riley Dimech New Member

Hi all, I recently planted snow peas. Now, for the first week the snow peas where full, plump and lush. Less than a week into flowering the peas being produced began taking on rather odd and unwanted traits. These consist of Small, infertile, slow growing and PURPLE! they where purple. This stumped me as the other plant from the same supplier, wasn't effected by what ever this was. Furthermore I contacted the seed grower ,he assured me this was not anything he had encountered ever before, and that he sent me snow peas. This was true as I said before they where normal for the first week or so. In a turn of events my plants, as expected slowly died off as it transitions into spring. No physical differences between these plants where present. Until I cut them back and proceeded to compost the leaves roots and the lot for compost. I noticed a fungus on the roots, It was first dismissed as I believed it to be wood chips or something, this was until I had a closer inspection. I had a look on the internet and was unable to find anything similar. I decided to take it to my local botanist who was just as stumped as I was, of both the fungus and the colour of the peas. There we where searching through fungus books and what not for at least an hour. We finally gave up and came up with the idea of turning to forums. So I hope you can help. Anything absolutely anything would help.

Thanks in advance, Riley

P.S I attached a photo of the fungi.

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I can't say anything about the fungus, but there are purple snow peas - query it. And there is also something called Lablab purpureus that look like purple peas.

3. Riley Dimech

Riley Dimech New Member

thanks for that, but I did contact the supplier and he said he had never come into even contact with purple peas. he grows the pods and saves the seeds. I mean with cross pollination It defiantly could be from over the fence or what not.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry, what part of the pea plant was turning purple?

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Never use diseased plants for your compost, dispose them safely instead. As for the nature of your problem, may be this will help: Oomycetes

6. Riley Dimech

Riley Dimech New Member

this is a close up.

Attached Files: