Very shallow garden

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Saleve, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Saleve

Saleve Active Member

Hello,

We just purchased (or at least signed an agreement to purchase) a garden apartment that is under construction. I have recently learned that the parking garage for the building extends under the garden. The front garden, with south-east exposure, will have 1.6 meters of soil above the garage. The back garden (quite small) with north-west exposure will have 20-30 cm of soil! I would most appreciate input regarding
    1) Can I plant nice fruit trees, i.e., peach, apple, and other pretty trees with only 1.6 meters of soil? and
    2) Is there anything that I can do with the shady small garden with only 20-30 cm of soil?

Thank you.
    Saleve

2. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

How about trying things in large pots.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, that should be adequate - it is deeper than most roots ever grow. There is a small risk you may need to irrigate in drought summers.
    More difficult. The depth of soil is adequate for most roots, but its ability to hold moisture in dry weather, and its long-term nutrient holding ability, is poor.

4. Saleve

Saleve Active Member

Thank you Michael. That is very helpful.

5. Saleve

Saleve Active Member

levilyla, Thanks. I was actually wondering about putting in a raised bed...

6. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have a section of my yard that is even shallower, but it is sunny. Plants do well there, which I suppose is expected since typical sun plants enjoy these conditions... however, one thing I did in this area was to incorporate some rocks and some containers as well (for spreading plants). I suspect this reduces evaporation from the soil underneath and keeps the roots cooler. You could try that in your shady area (shady rock gardens can be gorgeous) but might have to watch how much weight you are allowed to put on the garage roof.

7. Saleve

Saleve Active Member

Karin,
    Those are great ideas, thank you! I don't have to worry about weight as the whole apartment building is sitting on the garage. I can't imagine that a few rocks will make a difference!
    Saleve