Identification: very popular plant

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by Nadia White Rock, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

I know this plant has to be very popular around Vancouver, but I have no idea what kind of bush has these fruits. I found this plant at Grouse Mountain everywhere, September 27. Didn't see it in our coastal forest

Attached Files:

• 242.jpg
      242.jpg
      File size:
      339.6 KB
      Views:
    • 244.jpg
      244.jpg
      File size:
      322.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Nadia White Rock

I don't know this plant. I don't remember these flowers...Is it planted around the city a lot?

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Also look up Cladothamnus, might be under that name. No, it is not planted around cities much, as far as I've noticed. I've seen it in the mountains and along rocky river edges at lower elevations.

5. Nadia White Rock

I read that it was under another name and I checked already, I didn't see this plant before. I look close at all plants in our forest, it is not there. Very glad to know name and looking forward to see in bloom

6. Daniel Mosquin

I similarly don't notice it that often, I suspect I've encountered it far more often than I've actually noted its presence.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Only found in the mountains, and not everywhere there. The only cultivated examples I have seen were in the native garden at UBC.

8. Daniel Mosquin

E-Flora BC reports minimum elevation of 10m, maximum of 1705m. There is an easily-accessible population growing at 100m elevation along Highway 4 (road to Tofino) along the rocky banks of Kennedy River (located at a popular pullout where people can walk among the rocks along the river edge).

9. Nadia White Rock

I would find this plant in the native garden at UBC:) I come often so I cannot miss it. Thank you. I was wrong, it is not so popular, I don't mean mountains

10. Ron B

Down here I have noticed an association with Nootka cypress. In BC montane floristic elements are starting to come closer to the water than they do at my latitude. We do have a few, exceptional coastal occurrences of Abies amabilis; the one site I have been to the trees were growing with lowland species on a bottomland, in the manner of grand fir. Nothing else like copper bush or mountain huckleberries etc. around.

11. Daniel Mosquin

Growing in association with Nootka cypress, hmm? Well, there's a low-elevation stand of that species along that road as well, which can be seen from the highway at the junction of the turnoffs to Uclulet and Tofino.

12. Ron B

Yes, consistent with my previous remarks.