very old grape vines!!

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by bradford beckham, Mar 28, 2007.

1. bradford beckham

bradford beckham Member

me and my wife just got a small farm we found over 38 grape vines and 12 or more black barrys vines. i was hoping someone could tell me where i can get some info on how to take care of them. we belive the vines are more then 50 years old or older. but no one has been taking care of them for 10 years or more.

thanks
    bradford beckham
    Knoxville, TN USA

2. theftalanus

theftalanus Active Member

what type of grapes are they?

3. bradford beckham

bradford beckham Member

i dont know really the people next door said that thay are musdin

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

5. bradford beckham

bradford beckham Member

thanks it helped me a lot the book ansered every ? i had.

6. bradford beckham

bradford beckham Member

Any idea's on caring for the black barrys?

7. Ralph Walton

For black berries we use a six foot rotary brush mower behind the John Deere and a propane flamer for the subsequent shoots. That may not be quite what you had in mind but it works for us!

Ralph

8. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I use my goats in the paddock. The garden ones are cut off and then the remaining stems painted with Roundup straight away. I have a small made up spray bottle. I am talking wild out of control ferral noxious weed blackberries here.

If you have ones that are for growing in a berry shed. (I had one called American Blackberry that was quiet civilised :) I used to prune all last years canes and leave the young fresh ones to be tied to the wires or what ever they are being supported on.

Liz

9. bradford beckham

bradford beckham Member

ok thanks, new ??? Are Muscadines upright growing shoots or downward cane growth shoots. i am going to have to rebuild the trellis and replace the vines on the new trellis so should i but them back to grow up or place them on the top to grow down.

P.s i thank the black berrys are dead :(

10. Ralph Walton

If the blackberries are really dead, count your blessings. Whether they are or not, pull out all the dead canes and dispose of them (be careful!) as all the fruit will be on this year's growth.

Ralph

11. bradford beckham

bradford beckham Member

well i got the 1st of 6 rows of trellis trimed and cut. this passed weekend and i found that only 3 out of 12 Muscadines vines are living. i guess i am going to try to replant some of the cuting and grown new in the place where the ones that dead are.i am just hoping that the other 5 rolls have more living vines.

thanks
    Bradford Beckham
    Happy new Farm owner!

12. Ralph Walton

You'll find the Muscadines are easier to propagate by layering than by cuttings. Take some of the lower shoots and bury a 2 foot section of each in a shallow trench. The buried portion will generate roots and in the first winter you can cut the original shoot and then replant the new vine where you wish. Allow the rest of the plant to grow as it will this year, but use the lower shoots for layering as they will work better.

Some suggest nicking the underside of the buried section and/or treatment with IBA (rooting hormone) to increase rooting success.

Green cuttings can be rooted if you have a misting bench in a greenhouse; dormant cuttings are difficult.

Ralph