Veg. garden soil question - added straw

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Charles Richard, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

We used to add manure to our veg. garden each year, but did not this year.
    I added a top layer of straw to the garden last fall and rototilled it in. I believe in doing this that the nitrogen levels in the soil will be depleated due to the decomposition? Is this correct.
    We are going to add manure to the garden this fall (well composted), but am wondering if we need to grow some kind of nitrogen fixer at some point?
    Any information would help.

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

To be able to intelligently answer this question, it would all depend upon knowing how much straw was added. Straw does not add much in the way of nutrients, but does add some organic matter. - Millet (1,257-)

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Straw breaks down quickly and I don't think it will be a huge problem in fact combined with previous manure it will really help the soil. Just give any new plantings some nutrient material.

Liz

4. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I once added about five bales of straw to the garden bed- left over mulch. I put it through the chipper/shredder and had a layer of about three inches. I thought it was over-done, but it disappeared after a few weeks so fast that I couldn't find any after it was rototilled in . I don't think it enhanced the bed one iota. Actually I was hoping that it would have staw particles so as to enhance aeration during the growing season.