Various seedlings

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 30, 2016.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Here are a few seedlings Emery was kind enough to send me:

- Acer campbellii var. sinensis. Still small, but looking good:

acer-campbell_160730a.jpg

- Acer caudatifolium. The one that surprinsingly kept some green leaves all through the winter, until new ones appeared. Looks very healthy:

acer-caudatifolium_160730a.jpg

Acer davidii. Very healthy too, and the base of the "trunk" already shows this"serpent bark" chracteristic of the species. BTW, the bark and the new shoots are red, is it a subspecies? A friend of mine showed me photos of one she bought to try as a bonsai (she's a prize winner in france) and hers has a green bark.

acer-davidii_160730a.jpg

The two others have symptoms of chlorosis and/or fungal disease or insect damage:

Acer tataricum ssp. ginnala
    :

acer-tataricum-gin_160730a.jpg acer-tataricum-gin_160730b.jpg

NB: I have three other ones (from the same batch) that I bought a couple of years ago, and they also have discolored leaves so I think it's because of my local environment (soil, climate, fungus in the air, very hard water,...)

Acer cappadocicum:

acer-cappadoc_160730a.jpg

Once again, thanks Emery ;-)

I'll repot them next spring, pay attention to the soil mix and the water and give them extra care, I promiss.

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Alain,

So glad to see these are surviving and looking good! The same is true of yours with the exception of Carpinus laxiflora, which I guess simply didn't get enough heat this very cold spring. As I said elsewhere the Sequoia is now doing well although I thought it was cooked, and the A. elegantum is thriving: I'll try to get a picture as time permits.

I lost many campbellii sinensis and maybe 40 caudatifolium [!] this spring in the cold and wet, so very pleased indeed yours survived and are even thriving. I have only a couple of the former that made it, though some caudatifolium are doing very well. I wonder if there was a variation among the hardiness of the batch of seedlings.

The davidii is an offspring of 'Earnest Wilson' and they are all red to begin with, after some time some of them get greener, others stay red. We'll see what yours does. In general they're trouble free, anyway.

Actually the white speckling is normal on the ginalla, they very often show this sort of variegation. I have some relatively mature ones in ground that continue to do the same thing, though not every year.

The cappidociums were rooted cuttings, now in the second year, none of mine have shown much growth yet.

Lots of pectinatum seedlings this year! ;)

cheers, and thanks for the update and pictures,

-E