Varieties for Lethbridge area

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by runner1960, Oct 18, 2009.

1. runner1960

runner1960 Member

Hello everyone.

Just wondering if there are any members growing grapes in the Lethbridge area and what varieties you have. I currantly grow Valient which produced a healthy crop this year but would like to try something more suitable for wine making.

Thanks

2. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Frontenac works well for us in the Edmonton area. Go to this website

www.mngrapes.org

It's great if you are interested in growing grapes in cold climates.

You could also try Kay Gray, St. Croix if you can find them. There are people also growing King of the North there as well. There are also sources for vines out of province

Bert Dunn has varieties you could try

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=bert+dunn+grapes&meta=&aq=0&oq=bert+dunn

or Peter Salonius has vines available

http://www.littlefatwino.com/peterslist.html

There are some interesting varieties you could try down there.

A good Canadian source for info can be found at this link

http://littlefatwino.com/growers.html

Good luck and have fun with the vines

Cheers

Kim

3. runner1960

runner1960 Member

Thanks for the info Kim. I,ve never tried growing from cuttings before but have found loads if info for doing that on this forum as well as other internet sources. But one thing I'm not sure of is how long one can store cutting in the fridge for? It would seem I would have to order more cuttings than I would need or could plant. How long can they be stored?

Thanks

Gerard

4. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Hi Gerard; Cuttings can be stored in the fridge over the winter. As long as they don't dry out they will be ready to propagate in the spring. Grapes are easy to propagate.
    You can also order plants from several nurseries. Lethbridge has a pretty good climate
    so you should be able to grow some of the hardier selections there. In the past I've talked with several people growing varieties like King of the North, Niagara, Frontenac,
    Kay Gray, St. Croix, Prairie Star, Louise Swenson and other cultivars. They have varying dgrees of success there. You need to find a nice wind sheltered area or
    protect the vines from the wind there. There are some nice little pockets in your area that would be suitable for grapes. I lived there for 2 years so I'm quite familiar with the climate. Running or training in the wind there is a real challenge unless you're
    down in Indian Battle Park.

Cheers

Kim