In The Garden: Variegated weeping form plant id

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by scharper, Oct 17, 2013.

1. scharper

scharper New Member

I recently moved to a new house and garden near Christmas Hill in Victoria. The garden is full of unusual plants, some that I have not been able to identify. I hope that someone can help. Thanks very much.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. scharper

scharper New Member

Thanks for the link. It does look like it is
    Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki' (Dwarf Japanese willow 'Hakuro Nishiki').

I forgot to mention that it is quite low to the ground but was likely pruned hard and then overcome by self-seeding anemonies and geraniums. It is so distorted now that it is unlikely to reach the 15' I have read as a height (and OK with me). It is a lovely delicate plant that I look forward to getting to know.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

As with other kinds once specimen is well established hard pruning in early spring may produce the most attractive effects - willows are often prone to stem and twig diseases that can mar them if most of the old wood is not cleared away annually or every few years; with this cultivar in particular the redness of the youngest twigs is part of the appeal. ~Annual cutting back keeps this feature prominent.