Vancouver Golden

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by douglas, Nov 25, 2003.

1. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi, Iknow that it grows on the coast. I believe it was introduced from UBC. Would someone be able to point me the direction of background and climatic conditions of these. I am in Prince George B.C and have a sheltered warm spot in yard, and would like to use it as ground cover.

Thanks to all in advance
    doug

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think you are asking about Genista pilosa 'Vancouver Gold'.
    It does well on the coast, seems to handle the cold ok but I haven't tried it in your zone conditions so I can't really offer much help, you should be able to research the care of it online with the proper name via a google search.

3. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Genista pilosa 'Vancouver Gold' is a seedling selection of the species that came to UBC from E.H. Lohbrunner, a famous nurseryman and alpine plant enthusiast in Victoria, BC. The cultivar is noted for its low, densely branched stems, heavy crops of bright yellow flowers and (as long as other clones of G. pilosa are not in pollinator proximity) absence of fruit. It is probably hardy in Zone 5 conditions (average annual minimum temperature -20 degrees F, -29C), or hardier under reliable snow cover.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003