Appreciation: Vancouver, BC: Rojo Brillante Persimmons

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Junglekeeper, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

They are in Fortinos, in Ancaster, ON. Supermarket store, 12 for $8.99. I bought a box and they were perfect, just the right softness. Many people buy them when they are hard. They must be soft to eat or they are sour. Set out at room temperature until they turn soft.
    They make poor quality juice because the flesh coagulates. But hey are wonderful to eat raw. Mangia-cake's don't often buy them.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

From what I've read so far the astringency of this fruit is removed by exposure to a high concentration of carbon dioxide before going to market, therefore the fruit can be eaten when still hard. However I suspect the sweetness increases if the fruit is allowed to soften.

4. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

9 December 2015 Persimmon Juice
    Posted on December 9, 2015 by Durgan
    9 December 2015 Persimmon Juice9 December 2015 Persimmon Juice
    Thirty six persimmons about 20 pounds were made into 16 liters of juice.Process was to wash,remove stem, cut into quarters, add 10 liters of water to cooking pot, cook for about 20 minutes, blend into a slurry.Strain through a 2 mm mesh food mill, place in liter jars and pressure cook at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage. The complete fruit is used. the juice is very sweet. Straining is not necessary since there is almost no gross fiber.
    dsc_80559%20december%202015%20persimmons_std.jpg