Unphased by winter

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Eric La Fountaine, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I am not much of a rose grower, but have planted a few. I have one in a pot on a third floor deck - I think it is "Sunsprite", anyway it never lost any leaves over the winter and now it is putting out new growth all over. I did not prune it this year. Should I have removed the leaves? Should I prune it now?

It was stange, even when it froze (coldest temps at my house have been -1 or -2 a couple nights) the leaves were soft and supple, while the surface of the soil in the pot was frozen solid.

2. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

It will not hurt the plant if you ignore it but, to make it healthier, get rid of last years leafs. They are hangers on and will not produce as much nutrients as will the new ones growing and they may give a breeding spot for fungus. If it is already budding, its a bit late for pruning, so let it do its thing. Next winter you can prune for shape.

3. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Was black spots, powdery milder or other fungal diseases a problem with your rose in the previous season. Being on the third floor, you rose might have escaped from the ravages of these fungal diseases. If the leaves were totally clean in the previous season, then no harm will come from leaving the leaves alone. However, if fungal disease had been a problem in the previous season, do as Dunc says - remove all the leaves after pruning. (I don't think it's too late for pruning - I have oonly just finished the final touches of spring pruning the roses in my garden. You can still prune if it is budding - so long as the leaves haven't unfurled completely.). You will also need to pay attention to the soil and remove all dead leaves and debris from the pot and the surrounding area.

My one concern is your statement that the "soil was completely frozen". In general, the top of the rose is more hardy than the roots. If the leaves start to show signs of wilt as the weather gets warmer, than watch out for cold damage to the roots.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks Dunc and Weekend Gardener,

There was no disease on the plant last year, just some aphids. It has opened new leaves already. I don't think it froze too deep, but the surface was frozen solid for brief periods. There is a layer of mulch on top. It actually looks pretty good right now.

5. Weekend Gardener

Weekend Gardener Active Member 10 Years

Sounds like it is in good shape. I would still remove any weak or damaged canes, and shorten the remaining canes a little. I prune it like the rest of my floribundas - shorten the canes by a third, down to a strong bud.