Identification: Unknown Woodland Fungus?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Kalt, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Kalt

Kalt Member

I found this today while hiking through Busiek State Park in the Ozarks of Missouri. I've tried using my state's fungus/plant resources but it wasn't identified. I also failed to identify it using other fungus sites. It was a single plant growing out of a stump in the ground. I didn't touch it because I don't know much about fungus/mushrooms but what I do know is to never touch something when you don't know what it is.

[​IMG] (overhead view)

[​IMG] (side/stalk)

[​IMG] (side/bottom view)

If someone could identify it or give me pointers I'd appreciate it. I'm going back tomorrow so might take more pictures or look for more.

EDIT: I realize now that Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds would have been the appropriate subforum for this question, but it's too late for me to move/delete it.

2. SusanDunlap

SusanDunlap Active Member

awesome. what a wonderful bit of nature to run into. thanks for posting.

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Kalt,

Lovely specimen and lovely photos!

If you post more photos, here is the link to how to attach images to your posting:
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=60953

Your fungus is a polypore, and I'm wondering if it might be a young Grifola frondosa or similar, growing from underground root? It's not a mushroom I've seen in my region so I really don't know.

cheers,
    frog